You may never have considered that the state of your liver can have an effect on your sexuality. However, In Taoism and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), it has long been known that the liver controls the flow of sexual energy, or chi, in the body. If the liver is stagnated, with the energy blocked, then sexual energy becomes “tight”. This can manifest in a number of ways such as:
- Stop-and-start sex drive, coming in spurts. Sometimes there, sometimes not
- A “horny” edginess to the sexual energy, abrasive
- Aggressive sexual energy and desire for violent sexual encounters
- Tight quality to sexual energy. Desire can easily turn into frustration.
- Stuck lover chi leads to stuck emotions in the form of anger, frustration and/or depression.
- Sometimes the tightness is so strong that there is no sex drive, unless one uses alcohol or drugs. So low libodo can be connected to blocked liver chi.
Stagnant liver chi is so common in our modern society that this kind of sexual energy has even become normal in many people’s perception. A lot of the produce coming from the porn world carries this edgy sexual vibration and sadly that means that many people do not realise there is any other way!
In terms of Tantric Union, if the sexual energy is very tight, the two lovers will tend to just use sex as a tension-release and not raise energy to higher levels such as the heart and soul level. Often this type of sexual encounter leaves people feeling separate and does not cultivate deep union and connection.
The good news is, this can be adjusted just with the aid of a simple liver cleanse! By purifying the liver and flushing excessive sediment out of the gall bladder, the chi flow of the whole body can be freed up. Not only does the energy flow more freely, but the emotions begin to flow more smoothly also. Instead of feeling edgy-horny sexual drive, you will become filled with a juicy vibrant sexual vitality. This is more like a zest for life than a desire for tension-release, and instead of looking for sex to relieve pressure, you can use your energy as a gift to share with others if you so choose.
When liver chi flows smoothly, you will start to experience:
- Joyful sexual vitality and zest for life
- Smooth-flowing emotions
- Less anger and frustration. More generosity and giving.
- Deeper sense of connection during sexual union
- Energy rising and falling in smooth peaks and valleys during intercourse
- Any violent sexual drive is transformed into a sexual fire that can open up your partner (rather than violate them!)
- Sexual vitality is joyful, whether you are engaging in sex or not.
Basically, the bile (fluid from the gall bladder) breaks down fats. So the easiest way to give the gall bladder a break is to cut out fats: oils, nuts, cheeses and so on. Then of course the liver breaks down toxins, so the second step is to avoid drugs, alcohol and caffeine. These two moves alone will start giving the liver a chance to cleanse. However, there are a few extras you can add into boost the cleanse process:
- Apples, pears, apple juice. These break down deposits in the gall bladder (gall stones)
- Apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons) in warm water with a teaspoon of honey. Drink once or twice a day to move stagnant liver chi. Also good to move frustration and anger.
- Lemon juice added to your drinking water. Especially good to drink upon waking up.
- Lots of vibrant salads and greens.
- Green juices and super greens…but avoid the heavy sweet smoothies.
- Herbs to boost: you can buy special liver formulas, or take artichoke extract and milk thistle. Follow guidelines on the package.
- Don’t eat after sunset. Best to take last meal by 6pm.
- Sleep by 10pm. Liver purifies from 10pm to 2am, according to TCM, so get early nights for a full liver cleanse.
You may want to dedicate a weekend or even a week to focusing on cleansing your liver. In addition to diet, a daily practice of yoga or qigong helps to move blocked energy. In qigong there are two exercises for the liver that are superb:
- Shaking: put on your favourite techno music, stand with your feet wide on the earth, and shake! Let your whole body be lose. Imagine you are shaking off old chains and limitations. Shake them off, into the earth! Be free! Afterwards stand with eyes closed and watch the vibrant energy in every cell.
- The Woodcutter: stand with feet 3ft apart, in wide stance. Interlace your fingers and raise your arms straight up above your head, as if lifting an axe. Swing ti down between your legs with a deep “huh” sound. Repeat 10-20 times. This is superb to do when you feel angry or irritated with something or someone. After the cutting movements, stand with eyes closed and breathe. Watch the vital energy flow in your body.
So why not take the liver challenge? Cleanse your liver and gall bladder and watch what an astounding difference this can make to your sexual vitality and life force energy flow.
If you try this cleanse, please feel free to post your results below. What did you feel? How was your energy? How has it changed your sexual vitality?
Trainings in Tao Tantric practices for health, vitality, love, union and spiritual growth. In Thailand and Bali.